Employment FAQs

You can work in various settings in Singapore such as:

  • Healthcare
    • Government and private hospitals
  • Social service sector
    • Voluntary welfare organisations, special schools
  • Private therapy clinics
  • International schools

Multilingualism is highly common in Singapore. The four official languages are English, Chinese (Mandarin), Malay, and Tamil. Other dialects of Chinese (e.g. Hokkien, Teochew) and other Indian languages are also encountered. It is possible for therapists who only speak English to work in Singapore. However, with an adult caseload it is more likely that an interpreter is necessary.

It is important to be aware that Singapore Colloquial English, commonly known as ‘Singlish’ differs from standard English and can be a challenge to understand at first. Understanding typical development of Singapore English is important when evaluating any Singaporean client. 
It is not necessary but it is certainly a bonus if you do. Mandarin is widely spoken; and Chinese dialects such as Hokkien, Teochew, and Cantonese; as well as Malay; and Tamil are commonly used in the elderly population.

Working in Singapore provides a fantastic opportunity to learn about Asian traditions and cultures. Of course, these factors need to be taken into consideration in assessment and intervention. Standardised tests with non-Singaporean norms must be administered and interpreted with care.

There is no formal locum register in Singapore at present. Please visit our Current Jobs page to be in the know of Speech and Language Therapy career opportunities.

When you have an offer of employment from a service provider, the service provider will typically facilitate the employment pass application process.

If you wish to set up a private practice, please contact the Registry of Companies and Businesses for more information.

All SLTs require mandatory registration with AHPC. Please check their website for more information.

Everyone can apply for registration with the AHPC although the process is facilitated if the university degree is in a list of recognised higher education providers. Please contact AHPC for more information.