How to Access Speech Therapy Services

If you have concerns about communication or swallowing difficulties, your doctor can make a referral to your nearest or most suitable speech therapy service. A formal doctor’s referral is usually required to access government-subsidised services in hospitals and social service agencies. Alternatively, you may consult with speech and language therapist in private practice.


Accessing services from hospitals

Most hospitals in Singapore provide speech therapy services both in the wards and in outpatient clinics. Some hospitals also offer speech therapy in your homes. The services in each hospital may differ. A formal referral letter from a Singapore-registered medical doctor is usually needed to access speech therapy in these hospitals. For services at private hospitals, you may contact the hospital directly for an appointment.


Engaging speech and language therapists in private practice

Speech and language therapists in private practice may see clients in residential institutions, clinics, or in their homes. Services and referral practices may differ for different private practices. You should contact these clinics and centres directly for more information.


Accessing services in special schools and Early Intervention Programme for Infants and Children (EIPIC) centres

EIPIC centres and some special schools provide speech therapy services for their students.

SG Enable is an agency dedicated to enabling persons with disabilities. Please refer to the SG Enable website for more information on therapy services for for children and youths.

Please refer to this link for information of some subsidised speech and language therapy services in Singapore, for children and youth with communication and feeding/swallowing needs.