- This event has passed.
The Social Brain: What does Social have to do with Survival? – Registration Open!
May 24 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm$5 - $30
The Social Brain: What does Social have to do with Survival? (Webinar-based interactive learning)
- Where did our social brain evolve from? How does it ensure our survival within our current contexts?
- What are the essential core deficits to treat that compromise our capacity for social relatedness?
- Our clients may be ‘tunnel visioned’ but need to function within the context of a ‘landscape’. How do we move our interventions from ‘tunnel’ to ‘landscape’?
- Joint attention and shared referencing in ASD, is the single most important determinant in assessment and prognosis. Why do we need to shift our focus in intervention from treating language/ communication, to developing the capacity to share minds?
- How does growing social awareness impact an individual’s capacity to understand and apply social learning?
- How do we keep our interventions relevant to the client and their evolving needs, so we can keep them motivated to learn what does not come intuitively to them?
Come join us for an evening of web-based discussions.
You will have the option to watch an exciting 1.5hr video lecture by Dr. Ami Klin (internationally recognised Clinical Psychologist professor and researcher in ASD), within the comfort of you home. During this SIG, we will engage in a facilitated panel discussion about the key learning and implications for treatment from the video lecture.
Finally we will watch a TED talk by a young man with Autism and his journey of self-discovery and social awakening. We will conclude our evening by determining what is most important to our clients, that we must tailor to in our interventions. In all our good intentions to help our clients, do we sometimes forget the individual?
Date: 24th May 2018
Time: 7 – 8.30pm (registration from 6.30pm)
Venue: DAS Rex House Learning Centre, 73 Bukit Timah Road, #05-01 Rex House, Lecture Room 2
(Diagonally opposite KKH. Nearest MRT: Little India, Exit A)
Cost: $5 (members) and $30 (non-members)
Register by 18th May to receive your webinar video assignment. Come be inspired while connecting with the community. Look forward to seeing you!
Your Social Comm SIG team