- This event has passed.
Social Communication SIG Talk – Registration Closed!
August 16, 2017 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm$20 - $40
Due to overwhelming responses, registration is now CLOSED. Please note that we will NOT accept walk-ins. We seek your kind understanding on this.
Topic: Intervention Across a Lifespan of Different Social-Communication Profiles
Presented by: Chithra Kathiresan, SLT, Connect and Communicate LLP
Frequently we place children who are talking into social skills groups and try to ‘teach’ core skills or curriculum in a finite number of sessions. There are so many social approaches and curriculums out there. How do we decide who to teach what and when? Social evolves across a lifetime, and is context and relationship dependent. How do we ensure that what we teach is functional and meaningful across the lifespan? Does teaching social communication always need to be in a group?
In this talk, we will explore:
• What does social competency involve
• Teaching beyond labels and understanding the functioning of the child
• A continuum of social functioning through DIR® Floortime™ and Social Thinking®
• A continuum of approaches available to develop social functioning
• Tailoring the intervention to the individual
• The pyramid for promoting social-emotional competence
Date: Wednesday, 16th August 2017
Time: 6.30pm register, dine and be social; 7.00pm – 8.30pm program
Venue: KKH Seminar Room 1
Cost: $20 SALTS members, $40 Non-members
(Payment via PayPal or cash only. Our sincere apologies, bank transfer is not available at the moment.)
Note to SALTS members: Please log in before registering for the event.