Staying hydrated while living with swallowing difficulties can be a challenge. Knowing the warning signs of dehydration are important to ensure you keep on top of your fluid intake:
- Increased thirst: If you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated
- Light headedness/dizziness
- Dry mouth
- Dark/concreated urine
Enjoy a variety of fluids with Precise throughout the day to keep hydrated.
Swallowing difficulties increase the risk of choking on food and fluids, as well as aspiration and pneumonia. Our Precise dietitians have shared their top tips to keep mealtimes safe for those with swallowing difficulties.
- Sit fully upright during mealtimes and stay upright for 30 minutes after eating/drinking
- Be alert when eating/drinking and limit distractions such as TV/radio
- Take a break if feeling tired, fatigued, or drowsy
- Encourage small mouthfuls at a time and offer reminders to swallow for those with dementia
If coughing or choking occurs during mealtimes, contact your healthcare professional such as Speech Pathologist for further advice.
Interested in partnering with SALTS? Send us an email at email@example.com!